Mindfulness equals self-care powered by awareness and self-love
Interested in mindfulness and incorporating it into your life (and lifestyle)? Mindfulness equals self-care powered by awareness and self-love.
- Identify mindfulness as a goal. Identifying a goal (or goals) allows us to measure our efforts towards achieving working towards our goal(s). Goal achievement is not on/off. It’s a process.
- Construct some agreements with yourself that reflect the exercises, actions, feelings you believe will enhance the quality of mindfulness in your personal experience.
- When you keep those agreements, notice and praise yourself [Principle involved- praising self for all good work (stuff you’re supposed to do and having a good time count as good work), a) feels good, so you’ve just generated a pay-off (everything we do, we do for the pay-offs), and praising yourself will help you notice and remember your good work. And what you notice you can remember. What you remember you can repeat. [See earlier article, Template to improved family and self care]
- When you don’t keep one (or more) of these agreements, you are NOT being bad! You simply have not kept an agreement with yourself. We all have a “you can’t tell me what to do reflex.” When we feel like someone is “wagging her finger at us” (regardless of whether or not she is, in fact, “wagging her finger at us”), that stimulates our “you can’t tell me what to do reflex.” We can stimulate that in ourselves. Being mean to ourselves (i.e., strong negative self-judgments and the associated self-talk and horrible feelings evoked by these negative self-judgments) stimulates it.
- And most importantly of all: THE PLATINUM RULE– Treat yourself the way you wish others to treat you. Be an example/model for us as to how you wish to be treated. You wish to be treated with kindness? Be kind to yourself. You wish to be treated with respect? Respect yourself. You wish to be treated fairly, be fair with yourself. Or more directly: YOU deserve to be treated well. That includes how you treat YOURSELF!!!
- Buy my books!
- This and everything found in Dr. Neal’s Corner exist for educational purposes only. Professional advice specific to your situation should come only in the context of a professional relationship with a licensed health care professional.
- Question everything I write! You know a lot. Sharing here (or in the “comment” section of this article) your questions, thoughts, experiences, and beliefs regarding whatever I have written enhances the value of Dr. Neal’s Corner. I will do my best to answer any questions and encourage others to share their answers to any questions posed here. Thanks!
Please, encourage, suggest, direct others you know who could benefit from Dr. Neal’s Corner to visit Dr. Neal’s Corner. Thanks for that, too!